[Web-SIG] Re: Form field dictionaries

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 24 13:27:08 EDT 2003

I've argued in the past that the correct approach is to determine in
advance which fields can take multiple values, and reject multiple
values for other fields as an error early in the form processing.

The reason I say this is that it's annoying and inefficient to
distinguish between a possibly-multi-valued field with only one value
and a possibly-multi-valued field with multiple values.

Here's an exerpt from a message I sent to ReportLab colleagues, and
although it refers to a specific framework the intent should be obvious.
The bottom line is that if a field *could* have multiple values I
*always* want to see it as a list, even if the list only has a single
member. And, of course, I *know* I'm right about this :-)

> def getCGIParams(*names):
>     "returns dictionary of parameters found in the cgi script"
>     dictionary = {}
>     import cgi
>     form = cgi.FieldStorage()
>     for name in form.keys():
>         value = form.getvalue(name)
>         if isinstance(value, list):
>             if name not in names:
>                 raise IllegalMultiValue
>             dictionary[name] = [quoteValue(v) for v in value]
>         else:
>             if name in names:
>                 dictionary[name] = [quotevalue(value)]
>             else:
>                 dictionary[name] = quotevalue(value)
>     return dictionary
>
> This has the advantages that a) possibly-multi-valued arguments
> are always represented as lists, and client code can use
> len(arglist) to determine iteration count and subscripting
> to select items, and b) we trap much earlier the case
> where we see multiple values of arguments that are only
> supposed to occur once.

regards
--
Steve Holden          +1 703 278 8281        http://www.holdenweb.com/