[Web-SIG] Defining a standard interface for common web tasks

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Fri Oct 24 03:35:43 EDT 2003

Steve Holden wrote:

>>I initially didn't want to embark on a big class
>>renaming because I
>>thought Twisted would quickly and completely replace Medusa,
>>but that seems
>>unlikely to happen.
>>

>Well, if those Twisted guys would stop implementing neat ideas and do
>some serious work explaining the structure of the framework they would
>probably find their code was more widely used. I suspect it will take
>Twisted a long time to mature because the developers are who and what
>they are. Their enthusiasm is admirable, but sometimes I get a bit
>annoyed by the hand waving :-)
>
>My experience is that people who've been walked through the Twisted code
>one-to-one by a Twisted developer "get it", but that just reading the
>docs or listening to conference presentations doesn't cut the mustard.
>Or maybe that's just me...
>
>regards

I think Twisted is inappropriate for a basic standalone web server to be
included in the standard library. It's very fancy and hand-wavy, but
that's great - we need something like that around. Eventually their
ideas will find their way into other systems as well.
But the standard library one should be simple, nice, clean, and extendable.

David