[Web-SIG] Defining a standard interface for common web tasks

Stuart Langridge aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Thu Oct 23 10:42:15 EDT 2003

Simon Willison spoo'd forth:
> Stuart Langridge wrote:
>> It would be useful to know if anyone is still *using* any of the old
>> backwards-compatible stuff. The cgi.py API hasn't changed very much
>> since 1.5, has it? (I might be hideously wrong here.) If not, then
>> deprecating all the previous ways it used to work would probably be a
>> good idea; there can't be that many people still using code that old?
>> (I admit that this sort of assertion has a habit of coming back and
>> biting you, mind.)
>
> Actually, I wrote an application using the cgi module this week - it's
> just been deployed as the system to manage http://coupons.lawrence.com/ :)

Oh, blimey, I didn't mean deprecate the whole module, prqactically
everything I write uses it :) It seems to have a lot of very
backwards-compatible stuff in it, like everything that came before
FieldStorage, which is what I was talking about removing. I don't think
that there's anything significant that you can't *do* with it, is
there? Just that it's not all that convenient to do anything. So a
"web" module, analagous to "email", as Simon suggested, seems like a
great idea to me; a higher-level abstraction layer over the cgi module.

sil

--
A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps,
snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana