[Web-SIG] client-side support: PEP 268

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Wed Oct 22 19:52:17 EDT 2003

I just wanted to send a reminder that I had started a PEP a while back to
pull together a bunch of disparate HTTP client-side activities under a
coherent model.

Part of the problem was how to build an HTTP Connection object which
optional had SSL support, or additional DAV facilities, and/or proxy
support. A bit orthogonal to that was how to provide an extension system
to enable arbitrary sets of authentication systems. The default set would
be Basic and Digest, but something like client certificates would also be
"in scope" given the SSL capabilities of the module.

  http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0268.html

I'd suggest taking a look at that PEP and using it as the end-point for
the discussion of client-side changes. IOW, I'm not holding any particular
"mine mine mine" on it, so it seems like a valid way to produce a final
proposal. I also happen to think that it was heading in the Right
Direction(tm) :-)

Cheers,
-g

--