[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

Kevin Marks kmarks at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 01:46:23 EST 2003

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 07:09  AM, Michael C. Neel wrote:
> This is something that has crossed my mind, esp. considering python
> already handles the cross platform issues well.
>
> Right now it looks like flash is setup to get a hold on the "applet".
> Java has some strikes against it from it's past (most people still
> assume it has performance issues, doubts on security) and is still
> closer to C++ than scripting languages in terms of development cycles
> (meaning it takes longer to develop in Java than Python/Perl/PHP).
> Java
> is also still controlled by Sun, and last time I checked they weren't
> moving toward any type of ANSI standard, and Microsoft is trying to
> drop
> Java from Windows.  If only Sun would have opened up Java when they
> first started with it things would be very different today (so I'd like
> to think =).
>
> Flash is closed, but that has to be it's only draw back.  It's cross
> platform, has good performance, and integrates well with other web
> technologies.  Flash MX's XML abilities are really powerful, and flash
> can also handle complex UI for user input (a place where HTML does
> extremely poor).
>
> Bringing python to this ring will be tough, and take some time I think.
> In the long run it will be worth it however I think, because as flash
> becomes the only choice it will tend to offer less and less (the normal
> result of a monopoly).  Having some competition from python will
> challenge both options to get better, and we the developers win out no
> matter which one we use.

The chances of getting people to install a plug-in are pretty low. I
speak from experience. I worked on QuickTime for 5 years, and although
we have over 150 million copies installed, it is still seen as
insufficient by many developers. Those within corporate environments
can never install anything that does not come with the OS, and Flash's
95% plus penetration is very hard to tackle.

Instead I'd suggest improving the Ming library that generates Flash
from Python, and concentrate on the backend.

in addition, Python used for standalone apps seems a much more
promising idea to me.