[Web-SIG] Call for managment =)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Nov 25 22:18:56 EST 2003

> Now that we have the SIG, I think before anything is going to happen we
> need some management around to help get things going.  Right now every
> thing is just being debated to death, and it feels like a perl
> conference =)

Mike, I agree with you about the management part, but I think the
discussion is quite useful.  It tends to open up new avenues for
discussion, so that we can get a fuller idea of what the work is.  I
think we're close to being there, though, and perhaps it's time to
figure out more exactly what should be done for each particular item.

To my mind, this means finding someone for each of our "projects" who
believes in it strongly enough to put together a PEP on it.
"Someone", of course, can be a group of people working together, too.
I think the next step for this group is to start writing and reviewing
these PEPs.

So, if people want to move forward, pick something, send a note to the
list so that others can help out if they want, and start working on a
PEP!

> So (I think) we need a "guy in charge" to take the reigns, coral the
> different ideas, find out who is going to work on them, etc.  Bill
> Janssen has done a good job of getting a list of things mentioned at
> http://www2.parc.com/istl/members/janssen/web-sig/needed.html - wether
> this means he's up for leading the effort is his call =)

I'd be happy to do this, or not do it :-).  I've got plenty of other
things on my plate, but I put this effort together because I thought
it was important enough to work on.  However, remember that this is
all volunteer.  "Reins" don't work -- more like herding cats :-).  I'd
be happy to work on an umbrella PEP, that ties together the various
sub-PEPs for the various projects.

I personally will also be happy to pick one of these sub-projects and
work on it.  I've got some experience in implementing SSL, so I could
perhaps contribute to the SSL server-side support, for instance.

> Any volunteers?  I've got no problem doing this, but it should be who
> the list wants, and I'm not exactly a python legend (though I have read
> the needed peps! ).

Bill