[Web-SIG] SelectORacle

Stuart Langridge aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Wed Nov 19 07:10:20 EST 2003

Simon Willison spoo'd forth:
> John J Lee wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, David Fraser wrote:
>> Where do people use CSS parsers outside of graphical web browsers?
>
> For implementing search engine spiders. A common trick used by search
> engine optimisation tricksters is to include a bunch of keywords in the
> body of the document that are invisible to the naked eye. There are a
> number of ways of doing this using CSS - you can set the text to the
> same or a very similar colour to the background, or you can hide the
> text using a CSS command such as display: none, visibility: hidden or
> even text-indent: -1000em.

*wince* It strikes me as being really difficult to tell the difference
between someone using this sort of technique to hide spam text and
someone using it as part of an image replacement technique like FIR.
Besides, a search engine spider isn't so common a thing that it needs
magic support in the stdlib, surely? If someone puts something like
this together I can see it eventually being incorporated into the
stdlib if lots of people use it (like, say, the xmlrpclib stuff from
PythonLabs) but not to be a thing that this SIG decides should be part
of the new "web" section from the outset?

sil

--
Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj
(A day without secrets is like a night without stars)