[Web-SIG] naive comments

Kai Hendry hendry at cs.helsinki.fi
Sun Nov 16 15:22:40 EST 2003

Just read through most of the posts. So far so good. I esp. glad you
dropped templating.

I just wrote a CGI program this weekend.

source:
http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~hendry/python/fog.py
http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~hendry/python/count.py

does not seem to work on my uni shell:
http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~hendry/python/fog.cgi

so try the demo from my home machine:
http://tap.homelinux.org/~hendry/words/fog.cgi

I must say it wasn't that easy. Maybe my style/design was just too
inexperienced. Or maybe I should be looking at a "framework" to write this.
Comments? Does it do it's job?

+1 Client "nice" Form validation would be great. As I'm probably going to sleep
wondering how you can horribly break it.

The rest I am not so keen on.
Server post-multipart. Doesn't libcurl do this?
HTML parser. HTML should be XHTML, hence XML?
CSS parser. How can a machine interpret style? :)

Another worry of mine, that may not be relevant here. This could be me
neglecting not to understand locales module. But I am wondering how cgi
negotiates the encoding. For example öäå does not work in my CGI and I
am not sure how to do it.

http://tinyurl.com/v872

W3C seems to think it's latin-1. When it isn't. Is it the "Content-Type:
text/html"?

Unless I missed it, I did not see people chat about RDF. How does the
"future-of-the-web" happen here?

Kind regards,
-Kai Hendry