[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Fri Nov 14 22:41:24 EST 2003

On 14 November 2003, John J Lee said:
> In fact, I would have thought that
> the frequency of people wanting to run even Java applets from Python is
> very low, so even that probably isn't widely useful (and you can already
> do it using Jython and httpunit).

As near as I can tell, Java applets are dead dead dead -- and good
riddance.  Java's a decent programming language, but the idea of
embedding it in a web browser has got to be one of the all-time
clunkers.

(In case you haven't been following: Microsoft ditched Java support from
IE in the initial version of Windows XP; Sun sued to get it put back in,
but MS still plans to remove it for good by late 2004.  For once, I
think MS is actually doing the right thing.  Obviously, this will mean
the death knell of Java applets, a good five years since it was
painfully obvious that they are a dead-end technology.  Now if only they
could kill off Flash...)

Python applets will never be anything more than an interesting academic
exercise, and I think the exercise is long-since complete.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
OUR PLAN HAS FAILED STOP JOHN DENVER IS NOT TRULY DEAD