[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Nov 14 19:13:19 EST 2003

> What do you think about resurrecting Grail?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  One of Python's weak points is the
lack of a standard portable UI like Swing -- I write all my UI
projects in Java for only that reason.  Browsers are all about UI.
(Yes, I'm aware that this can also be considered a strength -- lack of
a standard UI allows us to have many non-standard UIs, like wxPython
or PyGTK.  If we standardized, it would have a "chilling effect" on the
other efforts.)

However, I think some of the technology used in Grail was interesting,
particularly the security classes Bastion and rexec.  Both of these
are disabled in 2.3, because of "known and not readily fixable
security holes".

Bill