[Web-SIG] Request and Response objects

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Wed Nov 5 12:59:06 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Ian Bicking wrote:

> > (BTW, HTTP errors shouldn't happen if your application is written
> > well.)
>
> Of course applications should return errors.  404 is common, 401 and
> 403 are entirely reasonable, and 400 is a reasonable way to respond to
> unexpected input; 30x errors are obviously okay, and fit into an
> overall framework of exceptions.  And WebDAV servers have to set the
> error response very specifically, including the body of the response.

I guess this depends on what we mean by "application".

If I log in to my online banking, click on "confirm payment" and get 404
HTTP_NOT_FOUND, I will probably get on the phone with their customer
service right away.

On the other hand if I am trying to implement WebDAV, of course, an HTTP
error is business as usual.

Grisha