[Web-SIG] Request and Response objects

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 12:54:17 EST 2003

Michael C. Neel wrote:
> This could also solve some other issues on the list, such as how do you
> want your form data parsed - just use the request class that parses the
> data in a way you like.  That may not be 100% feasible though, since
> there should be a standard way of passing a response object the
> requests's parsed data, if it's needed.

That's a really neat idea, if we can flesh out the details. It would at
least provide a way of changing things like whether GET over-rides POST
or vice-versa. It also leads on to opportunities like input/output
filters implemented as custom request/response objects - a custom
request object that tries to filter out bad input for example, or a
custom response object that applies an XSLT stylesheet.

Of course, stuff like that is almost certainly better handled by the
application logic in the middle but it's still an interesting idea.

--
Simon Willison
Web development weblog: http://simon.incutio.com/