[Web-SIG] Pre-PEP: Python Web Container Interface v1.0

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Wed Dec 10 23:52:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> Similarly, this PEP is an informational document describing a certain
> convention that web frameworks can follow or not, as they see fit.  And it
> helps alleviate the O(n**2) problem of connecting various publishing schemes
> together.  Want to run Quixote under Twisted?  Go write an adapter.  Want to
> run Webware under SCGI.  Go write an adapter.  If each piece supported this
> interface, at least it would be fairly easy to combine tools without having
> to write a different chunk of adapter code for each possible pair.

The PEP will help with this problem, and as such I'm willing to support
it, but at the same I won't with all honesty be albe to say "problem
solved" in the best possible way or even that we are moving in that
direction. (But I think we agree with Phillip on this).

I really liked the problem statement in the PEP; perhaps we can add a note
to it that the problem can have a much more comprehensive solution and
that the solution described, although simple, isn't the most efficient and
in many ways defficient. This will shut up people like me who will read
the PEP and say "But this is just the old lame CGI?".

The real solution IMHO opinion is going to be something similar to Java
Servlet specification. It's a pretty complex issue, probably enough so to
start a whole separate SIG on.

Grisha