[Web-SIG] Pre-PEP: Python Web Container Interface v1.0

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Dec 8 10:05:12 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 09:55:02AM -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> interface.  Putting in 'None' where a sane CGI environment lacks the
> variable is asking for trouble.

Agreed; leave the environment alone, and leave stderr as a file.  If we
start defining logger objects, we're now building yet another framework.

Bonus: most frameworks probably have a method matching this signature already.
For example, in Quixote you could just add a 'runCGI = publish' assignment
to the Publisher class and voila, it's now compatible.

> For example, suppose that a threaded container wishes to configure, instead
> of one application object, a factory for returning new application objects,
> so that there is no threading problem?  I think that a premature attempt to

Only the application knows if it can handle threads, though; if there's some
unthreaded global cache, creating new application objects is not going to
make everything threadsafe.  I don't use threads and think their use is
brain-damaged 95% of the time, so I don't really care if there's a
thread-safety mechanism in the spec or not.

--amk