[Web-SIG] HTML parsers and DOM; WWW::Mechanize work-alike

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Tue Dec 2 09:16:52 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:36:27 -0500
Casey Duncan <casey at zope.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I'll look into this, but I'll hold off volunteering until I see how big the API is. I suspect not very.

After looking at it I think it is reasonable to wrap. It looks to be designed with that in mind. Ironically it seems that mxTidy was an inspiration for tidylib, so wrapping it will bring it full circle.

I see the process going in two phases:

1. A low-level wrapper that exposes the C API directly, with only small pythonifications, like proper exception handling, simple type mapping, etc.

2. A high-level OO API specifically designed for use with Python.

I volunteer for phase 1. Actually I will do a phase 0 first which will just be stupid wrapper that exposes the API and nothing else. From there we can discuss what needs to be done to complete phase 1.

This looks like a good job for SWIG, does anyone oppose using it?

-Casey