[Web-SIG] HTML parsers and DOM; WWW::Mechanize work-alike

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Tue Dec 2 00:11:12 EST 2003

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:55:47 +0000 (GMT)
> John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > Problems:
> >
> > 1. no volunteer to write a plain-old-C-API wrapper of tidylib
>
> I'll look into this, but I'll hold off volunteering until I see how big
the API is. I suspect not very.

After looking at it I'd say it's certainly a non-trivial task to wrap (by
hand), depending on what the real needs are. Do we simply want a 1-to-1
(perhaps swigged) wrapper, do we want something pythonic, or what? The
latter is obviously more involved and would need much more discussion and
vetting, especially given its DOM-ish aspirations.

Perhaps the most reasonable approach would be to generate a simple low-level
wrapper first and then gradually develop a high-level interface to it,
mostly written in Python. That might also insulate us from future API
changes to tidy better.

-Casey