[Types-sig] check.py

skaller skaller@maxtal.com.au
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:11:46 +1100

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I agree with you Greg. By Python 2 we may have sufficient performance
> that the "standard" compiler can be written in Python.

	Irrelevant. What is relevant is:

	a) the compiler uses efficient algorithms
	b) it is powerful enough to compile itself
	c) it  generates efficient code

In which case a Python written compiler can be used to generate
fast code fast, for any Python code, including itself,
by compiling itself.

I personally don't believe Python 2 will have much better
performance than 1.5, because I don't think Guido will
add the features, and write the specification, in such a
way that high performance is possible. [It would be
too 'unpythonic' :-[

--
John Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia