[Types-sig] Type checks

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:49:33 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> Python is also very deterministic. "Implementation-defined" really does
> not exist.
>
> Dunno Guido's policy or leanings on this matter, but I've been assuming
> that it would remain that way. And that CPython would generally be the
> reference platform/definition when the language manual is not clear
> enough.

To faithfully represent CPython, an optimizing compiler would need to
silently compile:

jfoieawjofij
fewajofijeawofj
fjowiaejfowei

to:

raise SyntaxError

So yes, we do have to allow some flexibility to the implementor. I agree
with Greg that as much as possible we should try to keep the undefined
stuff at *compile time* instead of runtime.

 Paul Prescod