[Types-sig] Issue: definition of "type"

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 05:58:29 -0600

A "static type" is either a statically declared (top-level) class or
something declared with a "decl type" statement or whatever we come up
with. Jim Fulton and Max Skaller notwithstanding, we do not seem to be
moving in the direction that any Python name can serve as a type. For
instance, these things are not types:

if somefunc():
	class spam:
		foo: String
else:
	class spam:
		foo: int

spam is a class but not a static type.

Jim Fulton also defines some ways to make interfaces at runtime. Those
are also not "static types" for our purposes. An interface constructed
at the top level would be a valid static type.

Three things see no end: A loop with exit code done wrong
A semaphore untested, and the change that comes along
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html