[Types-sig] Type Inference I

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:06:25 -0600

skaller wrote:
> Of course, the _expression_ x+1 can only be an integer,
> we _can_ deduce that. But that isn't enough. Python
> is too dynamic. We need more constraints to be able
> to do effective inference.

John, I have tried languages that were big on inferencing and I have
tried languages that were big on dynamicity and I strongly prefer the
latter.

I don't see how your global type inferencer is going to handle:

a = 1 + unpickle( "foo.pcl" )
b = a + eval( raw_input() )

I don't think that we can make these illegal without alienating most
Python users.

Three things never trust in: That's the vendor's final bill
The promises your boss makes, and the customer's good will
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html