[Types-sig] Type Inference I

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:58:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, skaller wrote:
> ... long post about exceptions and semantic definition ...

Sorry John, call me dense, but I really don't see what you're talking
about. :-(

I don't see a problem with exceptions. That is part of Python. I don't see
that it causes any problems with type inference, either (it just
introduces interesting items into the control/data flow graph).

This whole tangent about feeding an email to Python and claiming it is a
valid Python program with defined semantics (raise SyntaxError). I
understand your explanation, but I totally miss the point. So what?

Type inferencing for the "1 + file" case is easy. You know the two types,
and you know they can't be added. Bam. Error.

And this whole thing about wrapping ImportError or TypeError or
whatever... I just don't see your point.

It was a long email, but what exactly were you trying to say? "Define the
semantics" isn't very clear. I feel Python has very clear semantics. What
exactly is wrong with them?

Cheers,
-g

--