[Types-sig] A challenge

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:53:48 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Guido]

> > I personally am losing track of all the various proposals.
>
> You're not alone <wink>.

Trackless Python. I'm loosing track every day now, when there are
between 2 to six new posts each of about 7 people, and over
70% of cited text. Hard to follow since I'm a learner still.

<grateful cut>

> if-it-looks-a-lot-like-every-other-reasonable-declaration-
>     syntax-you've-ever-seen-it-met-its-goal-ly y'rs  - tim

This is what I can read. What a delight :-)
Just a question, please:

> import fnmatch
> import os
>
> decl _debug: Int  # but Boolean makes more sense; see below

Is this meant to be lexically true in the globals scope from
here on?

> _debug = 0
>
> decl _prune: [String]
> _prune = ['(*)']
>
> decl find: def(String, optional dir: String) -> [String]
>
> def find(pattern, dir = os.curdir):
>     decl list, names: [String], name: String
>     list = []
>     names = os.listdir(dir)
>     names.sort()
>     for name in names:
>         decl name, fullname: String

Same question: "name" is redefined from here on?
Would this behave (or be as behaviorless) like
the "global" declaration, or lexical, or do
you open a new type scope with "for"? (New
"variable, with C's {} in mind).
The latter cannot be since "for" declared it already.

<snip again, was'n ambigous to me>

make code, not words :)- ly 'y'rs - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net