[Types-sig] Re: Pascal style declarations

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 02:50:44 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
> Paul Prescod wrote:
> > Well, first, I don't think that we are going to allow functions as
> > return type specifications. Use assert for runtime assertions.
>
> I don't see a reason for this limitation. It would seriously
> restrict future introduction of closures into python.
>
> def format(string s) -> def(string);

I think he was saying that you can't use a runtime-computed type
declaration. That is different than saying you can't define functional
types. In other words: nobody is suggesting that you cannot declare a
function type as a return value.

Regardless, this thread is bogus. Nobody even said that runtime-computed
types should be allowed. Paul mistook my counter-example as a typedecl.
See my response to his email.

Cheers,
-g

--