[Types-sig] Shadow File Opinions?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:05:47 -0500

> I think the final product must allow inline declarations but I am
> starting to think that in the short term, "interface definition" files
> are the way to go not just for builtin modules but for all modules.
>
> Do others agree?

Yes on both counts.  I think this has been suggested long ago (maybe
by Jack Jansen?).  It never went anywhere, probably because the whole
idea never went anywhere.

Note that there's one case where separate interface files may be the
end solution: when the source itself is in another language.  This has
been discussed already.  Note that the doc-sig is also considering
that for documenting C extensions.  And of course Java does this for
native methods (both for docs and for typedecls!).