[Types-sig] Type inferencing

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:16:19 -0800

Greg Stein wrote:

> I believe that you will always have type inferencing occurring. Maybe I'm
> just referring to a degenerate case, but you do need inferencing just to
> deal with:
>
>   Int a
>   a = foo() + bar()

That's absolutely true. I agree with everyone else that argument values
must be type checked and that most of the rest can be inferred.

> * add declarations to "def" statements

Agreed.

> * add a type-assertion operator (for discussion, this has been '!')

Prefer function call syntax. Or maybe Java/C++ (cast) syntax.

> * use type inference to check func args and returns, and to (pre)check
>   type-assertion operators

Agreed.

Three things to be wary of: A new kid in his prime
A man who knows the answers, and code that runs first time
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html