[Types-sig] Avoiding innovation

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:20:54 -0800

#11. Wherever possible the system should try to build upon existing
implemented type systems and research rather than being designed from
scratch for Python. It will build much more closely on dynamic
language type annotation systems such as those in Smalltalk, Common
Lisp, Dylan and Visual Basic. Java and C++ are of secondary interest
as models.

---

Python is just another syntax and virtual machine for the lambda
calculus. It obeys the same mathematical laws as other programming
languages. I think it would be a mistake to throw out everything that we
know about type systems and implement something idiosyncratic.

Python IS a classical dynamic object/procedural programming language. It
is not a research language and I dislike attempts to put in untested new
ideas, especially in the area of type checks.
Three things to be wary of: A new kid in his prime
A man who knows the answers, and code that runs first time
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html