[Types-sig] Static typing considered HARD

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 23:09:18 -0700

David Ascher wrote:
> > Is their problem performance or defect-management?  Again, there is an
> > important difference.  I agree that typing can help the former: I am
> > doubtful that it is a panacea for the latter.
>
> The latter.  The quote (paraphrased from memory) is "When someone changes
> a function interface, there's no way to know if we've caught all of the
> calls to that function in the tens of thousands of line of code that we
> have except to run the code'.

Have they heard of Bertrand Meyer's open/closed principle?  As I
suspected, the root problem is poor software engineering, and has little
to do with Python.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants