[Types-sig] RE: [meta-sig] The Types-SIG is comatose. Let's retire it.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 19:25:15 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > Martijn Faassen wrote:

> > I really agree with this.
>
> But I suppose you disagree with Paul on what this focus problem should
> be?

I don't care what "this" problem is. I see three problems and, while
there may be some interdependency, I think we would make better use of our
time thinking of them and working on them separately.  I endorse having the
type system work on "static typing" (uh, whatever that is...) as long as it
doesn't work on interfaces and removing the class/type dicotomy.

> You'd prefer interfaces, right? Or seeing what you said later on in
> your post, perhaps an interface-SIG?

Yes, although at this point, I don't care if it's a SIG. In fact, I think
a better course of action would be to release my interface module and
let people use it and develop opinions based on it. (And, BTW, address
some Zope issues. :)

> I expect I'd contribute to any
> discussion of interfaces *or* static types. I'd probably be able to
> contribute more of practical value to any interface development right
> now.

Maybe you can pitch in to applying interfaces in Zope. Have you read
my proposal from waaaaay back?

> I don't have so much to contribute about the class/type dichotomy.

Note that, as a Zope user, you enjoy the benefits of removing it.
(Most Zope classes, including ZClasses are also types via
 ExtensionClass.  An additional related issue is to make
 classes first-class in the sense that they have their own
 methods/attributes. This would have made ZClasses easier.)

(snip)
> > We'll also start folding it into Zope.
>
> And that'd be wonderful! I am starting to feel that need after getting
> lost in the Zope sources too often.

Yee ha!

> I'd like to contribute; perhaps by
> documenting something for starters. Any ideas?

Maybe you should take the lead on folding them into Zope?
Any way you want to contribute would be welcome. :)

> > Based on actual
> > experience using it, we'll have a basis for future discussions.
>
> So practical.! :) I'd like to get in on this early on. I assume I'll
> catch your announcement on the release of the interface implementation,
> but I'd also be very interested to follow the process of rolling it into
> Zope from the start.

Yee ha!

> Not that I'm likely to be able to contribute much
> at the start, but it just sounds really interesting to me. Any idea on
> how this could be accomplished?

Frankly, I haven't thought about it in a while. I'm sure I'll have some
thoughts and some specific suggestions when I review the types sig material.
In any case, that discussion should happen elsewhere, either in private email
or on Zope-dev.

(snip)
> > (snip, I don't really care that much about static typing, except that
> >  I'm generally wary of it. ;)
>
> *grin* Okay, I suggest another design goal for the revived types-SIG:
> 'Pass the Fulton Test'. We must strive for a static type system so
> wonderful that even Jim Fulton will like it. :)

Not necessary. I'm confident that there are plenty of other
skeptics out there. :)

Jim

repeats.