[Types-sig] Why have two hierarchies? (*EUREKA!*)

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 04:27:43 +0100

John Skaller wrote:
>        This is a very powerful argument.
>It seems to me that additional abstaction can only
>come from simplifiction. A 'just' justification :-)
>
>        Also, such a simplification, to be truly
>worthy, must provide _unexpected_ new functionality.

True. I'm working on a new extended version of the article and a new demo.
This will feature (...drum roll...) class methods. Hmm, maybe that's not
unexpected...

>        Now .. doesn't this scheme look a bit like
>supporting delegation ..??

Could a kind soul please explain to me in a couple of sentences what
delegation *is*? Thanks. "Design Patterns" is patiently waiting for me
beside my bed, but I'd rather have someone just tell me... Yeh, I'm 100%
unqualified to talk about these subjects. It's more fun that way...

Just