[Types-sig] Why have two hierarchies? (*EUREKA!*)

Donald Beaudry Donald Beaudry <donb@tensilica.com>
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 12:45:15 -0500

Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com> wrote,
> Python today:
>
>     instance.__class__.__bases__
>
> I suggest:
>
>     instance.__bases__
>
> Ok, enough already. Let the hangman come!

But that's too simple to be any fun ;) Besides, now you have to answer
the question of what object is used to represent the bases collection?
Is it a tuple of objects, or is it just an object?  ...and what about
the objects in the collection, what can we expect of them.  What
attributes and methods do they have?  What attributes and methods does
the collection have?  Where do we encode the attribute look-up policy
for our instances?

You can change the names all you want, but simplifying this mess isnt
going to be that simple :)

	--Don