[Tutor] Clearing the Deque • Picturing Python’s `deque` data structure

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Nov 8 15:27:42 EST 2023

On 09/11/2023 06.08, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 11/7/23 12:57, dn via Tutor wrote:
>> You will be welcome to join us at our next (hybrid) meeting:
>> Wednesday, 15 November 2023, 1815~2030 NZDT (0515~0730 UTC).
>>

>> How often do you use a deque*? “Not very” is a common answer. Perhaps
>> you’ve never used it. In this presentation, Stephen won’t try to
>> convince you to use it more often. Instead, he’ll present a different
>> perspective on what this data structure is, and how it differs from a
>> list. The presentation will compare deques and lists in a visual
>> manner, to help us understand why we may need a deque in certain
>> situations. We’ll also explore some demonstration examples to
>> highlight the differences in performance between the two data
>> structures in different scenarios.
>

>> *pronounced like “deck"
> New Zealand-style pronounciation?

Hah!

Actually (a very English exclamation), Stephen is based in London!

How would you like it pronounced?

Yes, 'deequeue' did strike me as appropriate, given the word's meaning;
but there are the terms "enqueue" and its converse "de-queue".*

* and should a deque/deck therefore have two enqueue terms: pre-queue
and post-queue; plus two for de-queuing: un-queue and um-queue?

Word of warning: never try to emulate the Kiwi-accent. Actors on TV and
in movies NEVER manage it. It's even worse than trying to make-out that
New Zealand is part of Australia!
(even if it is called "the Auckland Harbour Bridge" on one side, and
"the Sydney Harbor Bridge" on the other!)

--
Regards,
=dn