[Tutor] I learn pretty much everything visually

ThreeBlindQuarks threesomequarks at proton.me
Thu Jun 15 00:36:12 EDT 2023

Wow, that is one long reply DN and clearly a topic you think much about.

I too have been hesitant about concepts like everyone needing to be taught the one way that works for them. That does not match reality for me as I don't think I have any one dominant modality. I find many useful in combination especially if I want to remember what I learn.

My theory is about flexibility. People who use various methods to adjust to whatever is around them can often do better in many areas of life. Yes, some people cannot use all methods. Color-blind people may not easily read some graphs for example, and blind and deaf people obviously may need alternate methods or something like a translation into a medium they can use. The same applies for people who do not speak the language some of the instruction is in fluently or at all.

For many people, lectures work and yet others prefer texts and so on. I find many to be complementary as lectures can share things like enthusiasm or what the lecturer thinks is important or cover mostly what will be on the test while the book covers much more widely. But both (and other forms such as one-on-one tutoring or programming assignments) will often not be at the level you are looking for.

In my view, general computer understanding is a good thing to have before actually focusing in on one language to use. Do you want to learn about loops within python or enter a course knowing some general things about loops and learning which kids python supports and how they differ from each other or from those in other languages?

Just to end with this one example, how many things in languages like python are really loops even if you do not see them? Consider operations like list comprehensions where the loop is still somewhat visible, to generators which yield results on demand but yet are loops internally to vectorized operations such as adding two vectors or multiplying matrices. Consider using objects that look like they are doing things atomically but internally use loops or functions you can call and pass it another function which it invokes repeatedly on members of a list you supply and returns a list of the changed things.

You may not see a loop and some forms of learning may make you think you are seeing lots of unrelated features. Or you may learn ane way and be puzzled when others show their code.

So, ideally, you learn a bit about general computer ideas and instantiate that knowledge in something like python. But learning from books or videos is probably not enough for those of us without photographic memories. As DN and others say, practice and experience can help drum things in. But skipping the learning part and just copying code and trying it out is also not ideal. A mixture can be more than the sum of the parts.

There is nothing wrong with favoring some mode of learning any more than of being lefthanded. But never using one hand does not really make good use of what you have. Sure, people teaching should consider using approaches that people can use but with few exceptions, I think the student is responsible for figuring out how to get SOMETHING  from many different styles.

But sticking with it can be important if the course you take starts as too basic and if it is too advanced, consider finding what you are missing before resuming.

Python has so many resources out there, that something should be useful, albeit not necessarily the free stuff but also not necessarily the expensive stuff. I have rarely found a need to pay especially when enough material is freely online or in Library books I can just borrow.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.