[Tutor] Hello

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 20:16:29 EDT 2023

On 19/04/2023 19:01, ThreeBlindQuarks via Tutor wrote:

> I only mean that for some of us who volunteer here, the
> goal is to help get people who are already learning elsewhere,

That's fine too, each member can decide which message threads
they participate in. But the tutor lists remit is to help
those learning programming and the Python language and its
standard library. That may include explaining very basic
concepts like "what is a loop?" "What is data?" and so on.

What we mustn't do is confuse our own participation criteria
with that of the list as a whole because that might deter
some members from posting a question that could be "too basic"

> detailed requests can be seen as being asked to do
> their work for them, not educate.

Yes and trying to spot that and point out the list policy
of assisting with homework but not doing it is one of the
ongoing challenges.

> if someone here asks if they should learn Python

Thats a valid question for someone new to programming.
And this list should offer assistance in making the
choice of language. We are not here to be Python
advocates but to help those who decide to go down
that route.

>  and wants instruction in public gradually over
> many months, I will opt out.

Provided the questions are valid and show some signs
of effort and advancement I am happy to see someone
progress, even over years(as has been the case with
some members - a few who now regularly participate
on the general list).

> I did not see the question as a general computing
> concept question. It was a brief message,

In this case it was  too brief to be useful, that's
why I asked for more details. But if it turns out
to be a request for information about the very
concept of loops then that's a [perfectly valid
question for this list to answer.

> I encourage people to follow up a general question
> with a bit more detail to help guide those answering

Absolutely, and that's the best response. But no
matter how basic the question turns out to be it's
valid for this list. You may personally decide that
you don't want to reply but others may well pick
it up - that's why it's a list and not a 1-1 service.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site