[Tutor] Tkinter isn't working on Beagle Bone Black

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 2 16:52:03 EDT 2022

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 00:35:57 +0000, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
declaimed the following:

>On 01/11/2022 18:29, Matt Lyon wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm having trouble running tkinter on my beagle bone black. I'm using the
>> BBB through debian. I'm using python3 and pip3 for commands.
>
>Caveat: I have no idea what Beagle Bone Black is...

	Consider it a less advertised competitor to a Raspberry Pi -- both run
variants of Debian -- but with more GPIO and onboard ADC and PWM (ie:
analog I/O). And with PRU (programmable real-time unis) for creating
dedicated I/O protocols
https://beagleboard.org/black
https://beagleboard.org/ai
https://beagleboard.org/ai-64

	I have two Blacks and one AI (but then, I also have three or four
Propeller microcontrollers (weird concept -- no interrupts, but 8
sequential cores so one uses a core to implement drivers for things that
would be interrupts in other systems), something like four Arduinos and two
AdaFruit Metro (running CircuitPython), and ancient overpriced BASIC
Stamps.

>You need something like python3-tk or tkinter or somesuch
>(I don't have a Linux box fired up at the moment!)

	For the OP, this is the listing from apt for tkinter

debian at beaglebone:~$ apt search tkinter
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
idle/oldstable 3.7.3-1 all
  IDE for Python using Tkinter (default version)

idle-python2.7/oldstable 2.7.16-2+deb10u1 all
  IDE for Python (v2.7) using Tkinter

idle-python3.7/oldstable 3.7.3-2+deb10u3 all
  IDE for Python (v3.7) using Tkinter

idle3/oldstable 3.7.3-1 all
  IDE for Python using Tkinter (transitional package)

libsnack-alsa/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 armhf
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - ALSA files

libsnack-oss/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 armhf
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - OSS files

pypy-tk/oldstable 7.0.0+dfsg-3 armhf
  Tkinter module for PyPy (an alternative Python interpreter)

pypy3-tk/oldstable 7.0.0+dfsg-3 armhf
  Tkinter module for PyPy (an alternative Python 3.x interpreter)

python-tk/oldstable 2.7.16-2 armhf
  Tkinter - Writing Tk applications with Python2

python-tk-dbg/oldstable 2.7.16-2 armhf
  Tkinter - Writing Tk applications with Python2 (debug extension)

python-tksnack/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 all
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - Python 2.x library

python-tktreectrl/oldstable 2.0.2-1 all
  Tkinter-based wrapper for Tk TreeCtrl

python3-tk/oldstable 3.7.3-1 armhf
  Tkinter - Writing Tk applications with Python 3.x

python3-tk-dbg/oldstable 3.7.3-1 armhf
  Tkinter - Writing Tk applications with Python 3.x (debug extension)

python3-tksnack/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 all
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - Python 3.x library

python3-tktreectrl/oldstable 2.0.2-1 all
  Tkinter-based wrapper for Tk TreeCtrl for Python 3

tcl-snack/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 armhf
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - Tcl/Tk library

tcl-snack-dev/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 armhf
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - development files

tcl-snack-doc/oldstable 2.2.10.20090623-dfsg-8 all
  Sound extension to Tcl/Tk and Python/Tkinter - documentation

(I'm still running

debian at beaglebone:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

... should probably update -- they have images for bullseye available)

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/