[Tutor] PYTHON INSTALLATION PROBLEM

Sat Oct 30 06:52:58 EDT 2021

Actually, it says I only have 1 'python', but multiple 'python3'
/usr/bin/python symlinks to a version 2.7 off in /System/Library/Frameworks/

All the versions 3.x only appear as python3 or python3.x

It could well be that they haven't fully removed python2.7 dependencies
from the system (or maybe better, haven't validated that they have) so
python means python2 for backwards compatibility.

On 10/29/21 11:31 PM, Bryan O'Brien wrote:
> Likely, you have multiple Python executables on your system.
> This will necessitate modifying your PATH.
>
> In terminal, run:
>
> which -a python <enter>
>
> If multiple python versions exist (this is normal with MacOS), just ensure that the python you want to use is listed first in your path.
>
> grep -i path ~/.zshrc
>
> HTH

>>> Also, Macs ship with Python. If your MacOS is current, the supplied
>>> Python should be pretty modern.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>
>> You might think that, but my Mac, running the latest version of OS-X, Monterey, reports for a "python --version"  that the system default python is still 2.7.10
>>
>> Now, this system is a 2019 Year model, but was built as a upgrade to an older system. so that might be a reason.
>>
>> Since I have been manually installing current Pythons, I don't know if they also have provided a python3 command with something more recent.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Damon

Richard Damon