[Tutor] Replacing comma with dot and dot with comma in a string

alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 1 13:35:31 EDT 2021

   Yes, that looks like a good use of maketrans. I'm not sure I would have
   thought of it but it works well here.
   Ps sorry for top posting, it's my phone...
   On 1 May 2021 08:23, Manprit Singh <manpritsinghece at gmail.com> wrote:

     Dear sir ,

     consider a string
     st = "as.hjtk,rah,lop."

     Now I have to  replace all commas with dots and all dots with commas.
     The
     answer should be 'as,hjtk.rah.lop,'
     Now for doing this i have used translate and maketrans as below:
     st = "as.hjtk,rah,lop."
     trans = str.maketrans({",": ".", ".":","})
     ans = st.translate(trans)
     print(ans)
     which gives the right answer.
     Just need to know if my understanding iabout translate and maketrans is
     correct or not ?
     I have passed a dict inside maketrans, for making a  translation table
     for
     to be passed to translate . the dict contains the first key value pair
     as
     "," : "." because the comma needed to be replaced with a dot similarly
     second key value pair is "." : "," because a dot is needed to be
     replaced
     with a comma in the string .

     Regards
     Manprit Singh