[Tutor] creating and writing to a text file

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 04:23:21 EDT 2021

On 30/03/2021 07:18, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> If you're talking about pyflakes, it's a linter:
>     https://pypi.org/project/pyflakes/
>
> It actually promises to not complain about style :-)

I'm a big fan of linters but I hate formatters.

There's very little evidence that strict code formatting makes much
difference
to comprehension and in practice I find that different styles apply in
different
parts of the code specifically as a way of conveying meaning(*). Formatters
tend to remove those variations.

I avoid them like the plague!

(*) an example would be building a menu system from a data structure,
it makes sense to lay the data out to look like the menus. but in other
places you want it to look like a flat data store. Most formatters
insist on
lining everything up according to whatever scheme their author prefers
(or if you are lucky a config setting)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site