[Tutor] Issue with Currency Columns

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 16:35:35 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 3:09 PM Nick Becker <nikbb124 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Evening,
>
> I read an excel spreadsheet into python with columns similar to those on
> the attached, plus many others.  I am trying to isolate the company name
> and sales columns in my data so I can work on them and do some
> calculations.  However, after I read the CSV file, I keep getting error
> messages around the sales column.

You can't send attachments to this list.  So, copy and paste the
traceback error message, and also copy and paste the code you are
using.  Also, copy and paste the data file -- not all of it, but a few
rows that would allow the problem to appear.  Do that, and someone
here will be able to help you.

> I want to make a new dataframe with just these two columns, but when I
> enter "df2 = original file['Company Name', 'Sales']", I get error
> messages.  I have converting the column of the source data to a number, and
> am still getting an error.  Any suggestions or pointers would be
> appreciated.

Since you say 'dataframe, I'm guessing you are using numpy which is a
library very popular with certain python users, but its not part of
python echo system itself.

> I am just getting started with Python, so pardon my ignorance.
>
> Best,
> Nick

Joel Goldstick