[Tutor] Using 'with open' statementfor reading a file two lines at a time

Ken Green beachkidken at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 20:32:30 EST 2020

On 11/26/20 8:00 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 27/11/2020 00:37, Ken Green wrote:
>
>> I am using 'with open' statement to read a file two lines at a time and
>> then combining them together to print the results into another file.
> Please don't just describe your code and think we can guess
> what you've done.
>
> Post the actual code and any actual error messages in full.
>
> There must be at least half a dozen ways to do what you describe.
> We can't fix what we can't see.
>
>> How can I continue reading the third and fourth lines and so forth on
>> until the end of the file?
> You need to use a loop, either a 'while' or 'for'
> But without seeing what you've done so far I can't say more than that.
>
>> (2020-11-5) as an interface. I used to use Geany but discovered the
>> latest version doesn't work in Ubuntu 20.04 and it only applicable for
>> Windows and Apple and there is no Linux version according to its website.
> I'm pretty sure there is a Linux version, in fact I just checked
> and v1.37 has just been released on Linux as well as Windoze and
> MacOS.
> v1.36 is available in the software tool for my Linux Mint 20 which
> is based on Ubuntu 20 so you should definitely be able to get
> it working.
>
> But if not there are a zillion other code editors out there that
> will do just fine!
I humbly apologized Alan. Below is the code:

# Daily Three Pick Three 99 Combine Test py
# 11/26/2020
import sys
filename1 = "Pick_Three_Drawings_File.txt"
filename2 = "Pick_Three_Drawings_File_Combine.txt"
file1 = open(filename1, "r")
file2 = open(filename2, "w")
with open(filename1) as file1:
     line1 = file1.readline().strip()
     line2 = file1.readline().strip()
     line3 = (line1 + line2)
     line4 = (line3[ 0: 4] + line3[ 4: 6] + line3[ 6: 8] + line3[ 8: 9]
+ line3[ 9:12] + line3[20:21] + line3[21:24])
     file2.write(line4)
file1.close()
file2.close()