[Tutor] Using 'with open' statementfor reading a file two lines at a time

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 20:00:05 EST 2020

On 27/11/2020 00:37, Ken Green wrote:

> I am using 'with open' statement to read a file two lines at a time and
> then combining them together to print the results into another file.

Please don't just describe your code and think we can guess
what you've done.

Post the actual code and any actual error messages in full.

There must be at least half a dozen ways to do what you describe.
We can't fix what we can't see.

> How can I continue reading the third and fourth lines and so forth on
> until the end of the file?

You need to use a loop, either a 'while' or 'for'
But without seeing what you've done so far I can't say more than that.

> (2020-11-5) as an interface. I used to use Geany but discovered the
> latest version doesn't work in Ubuntu 20.04 and it only applicable for
> Windows and Apple and there is no Linux version according to its website.

I'm pretty sure there is a Linux version, in fact I just checked
and v1.37 has just been released on Linux as well as Windoze and
MacOS.
v1.36 is available in the software tool for my Linux Mint 20 which
is based on Ubuntu 20 so you should definitely be able to get
it working.

But if not there are a zillion other code editors out there that
will do just fine!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site