[Tutor] Pay-at-Pump Use Case - Tkinter GUI

Jon Davies jon_davies17 at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 12:51:23 EST 2020

Hi Alan,

I've been having a look into internationalization / i18n , and trying to have a play to get a simple example working, however I admit I am struggling.

My basic test file (translation.py) is stored in a folder Translation, with the structure as follows:

./Translation
            /translation.py
            /translation.pot
                           /locales
                                  /de
                                    /LC_MESSAGES
                                               /translation.mo
                                               /translation.po

Within 'translation.py' is the following:

import gettext

de = gettext.translation('translation', localedir='locales', languages=['de'])
de.install()

_ = de.gettext
#_ = gettext.text

locale_path = 'locales'

def print_some_strings():
    print(_('Hello world!'))
    print(_('This is hopefully going to translate!'))
    print(_('Hooray!'))

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print_some_strings()

However, when I try to run it I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/Jon_D/__/__/__/__/__/Translation/translation.py", line 3, in <module>
    de = gettext.translation('translation', localedir='locales', languages=['de'])
  File "C:\Users\Jon_D\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\gettext.py", line 588, in translation
    raise FileNotFoundError(ENOENT,
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'translation'

I'm confused as I'm pretty certain I've laid everything out correctly. If I can't get a simple example working god knows how I'll apply this in my app!

Thanks,

Jon