[Tutor] Fwd: Re: Beginner Noob

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 5 19:36:35 EDT 2020

On 05/07/2020 21:12, dn via Tutor wrote:

>> Which version is that? The regular Arduino develoment tool
>> comes with C++ as standard,

> <<<
> It seems like you’re programming in C/C++, but soon you realize that
> it’s not exactly C/C++. You don’t really know what you can do, and what
> you can’t do.

Hmm, Thanks for the quotation/citation.

I must confess I've been sporadically progranming Arduino
boards for about 7 years now and not once realized it was
not C++. Everything I've done has assumed a C++98 base and
it has just worked...(In fact the Arduino is about the only
time I use C/C++ nowadays)

> Apologies if you were hoping for a pointer to a C or C++ compiler that
> runs natively on the Arduino! (such may/not exist, I have not looked)

I was intrigued if such existed since the only thing I was aware of
was the vanilla Arduino IDE tool set. And so far as I was aware
(based on a fairly cheap beginners guidebook) that was a
substantial subset of C++.( A few libraries don't exist and
a couple of non-standard Arduino specific ones are provided but the
actual language syntax is pretty complete C++98 - and maybe even
C++11)

> ...whatever the provenance of its language, are *not* Python.

That's for sure! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site