[Tutor] Fwd: OT (probably): How to change default tab key value to 4 spaces in GNOME Terminal?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 22:06:37 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 7:33 PM David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:

> I expect that the explanation for the different vertical alignment of
> characters that you see in the gmail web interface, compared to your
> terminal, is that the gmail interface uses a proportional-spaced font,
> whereas your terminal likely uses a monospaced font...

Dang!  You're right!

> I am not aware of any method that this can be changed in gmail.
> If I recall correctly, that if the font settings are changed then it will
> have the undesirable affect of causing messages to be sent
> html-formatted instead of plain-text.

When I shifted from Chrome to Firefox I did not pay a whole lot of
attention and set the default text style to "fixed width" not
realizing that this would only be used in non-plaintext mode.  Which
causes me to remember that when I was still in Windows and Chrome I
had installed a plugin/add-on, Stylish or some such, that provided the
desired plaintext monospaced functionality.  But that plugin had some
issues with security or some such.  Ah well.  I want to get away from
Googleland anyway, so this will be another step in that direction.

--
boB