[Tutor] how to pass arguments to script

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 9 04:47:49 EDT 2019

On 08/09/2019 23:16, Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
> I am currently completing the Python tutorial, in python.org.
> I wonder, if I write a script.py defining a function, and the function
> requires an argument to produce a result; how do I specify this
> argument when executing script.py in my console?

Take a look at the "Talking to the User" topic in my tutorial(link below)

About 3/4 way down there is a section "Command Line Parameters"

that describes how to do what you want.

Or read the documentation on sys.stdin

> Is there a way to run the script in interactive mode and also quickly
> pass the function's argument?

You can't easily run scripts at the interactive prompt (ie >>>). You can
import a module and if your script is written such that you can execute
it by calling a function then that's the simplest option.

This usually means having your script code look like:

######## MyModule.py ######

import sys

def something:....

def another......