[Tutor] Help needed configuring IDLE

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Nov 23 13:25:09 EST 2019

On 11/23/19 11:10 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 23/11/2019 16:28, Nuno Ferreira wrote:
>> Trying to use Python + IDLE on my MAC.
>> When I write a script and save it, IDLE wants by default to save it in ~/Documents
>
> I had a look at my Linux IDLE configuration files and I can't
> see any way to change it. FWIW, On my system it targets my
> home directory (~) rather than Documents (~/Documents).
>
> You could try asking on the IDLE-dev mailing list,
> these guys are pretty good at responding to these kinds
> of issues.

I recall from past times that you have to actually edit the code of
IDLE.  I don't even know where at this point; there's someplace it
figures out a path by doing "expanduser" if I haven't forgotten the
logic - the difference in paths between Linux and Mac is just what
expanduser works out to.

[sorry, from memory]