[Tutor] What editor tools (plugins/extensions) would you consider essential for efficient Python development?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 18:39:27 EST 2019

On 12/11/2019 20:28, David L Neil via Tutor wrote:

>> Hasn't this been a feature of vi since its origins - possibly even a
>> feature of ex, before vi even existed? You just run a grep command
>> then step through the results visiting each line in turn. Or am I
>> missing something?
>
> Traditionally, a *nix/vi/emacs enthusiast would argue that (s)he can do
> things faster - in part by never lifting hands from keyboard (cf the GUI
> !usually being mouse-driven). However, in this (wider search) example, I
> doubt that claim would stand.

I'm not sure why not. After all you never leave vi. You just execute
a vimgrep (or OS grep if you prefer) command and it opens a buffer
with the results. You then use the next/previous commands(:cn or :cp)
to step through them in sequence(forward or back).

If you use gvim it's even easier because you can just click with the
mouse on each line to open the line in the edit window.

Its exactly the same as when you compile code and step through the
errors in the editor. Of course that doesn't apply to python since
we don't compile as such...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site