[Tutor] data structures general query

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Jun 26 14:46:11 EDT 2019

On 6/26/19 11:59 AM, William Ray Wing via Tutor wrote:

> One of the most useful (to me) structures is the double-ended queue ("from collections import deque”).  It creates a queue that can quickly remove an item from one end and add an item to the other.  Particularly useful for displaying a sliding window into time series data, or a moving track of the most recent n observations of a physical measurement.
>
> Bill

Indeed.  deques are often implemented using double-linked lists, the
Python version is (though you can't get at the details easily).

I forgot to add the snide-comment part of "what are these good for":

(a) binary search trees are excellent for Computer Science professors
who want to introduce recursion into their classes.

(b) all the classic data structures are candidates for being job
interview questions ("implement a linked list in Python on the whiteboard")