[Tutor] Python printing parentheses and quotes

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Jun 10 14:12:39 EDT 2019

On 6/10/19 10:50 AM, Sai Allu wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was just wondering if anybody encountered an issue where the Python interpreter was changing how it interprets print statements. So I'm using default Python on Mac OSX (2.7.10 I'm pretty sure) and running with the "python script.py" command.
>
> Basically what happened was that I had a few lines in the script like this
> ip = "10.41.17.237"
> print("         Welcome to Squid Monitoring for ", ip)
> print("")
>
> and the output was like this
>
> ("           Welcome to Squid Monitoring for 10.41.17.237")
>
> ("")
>
> So it was printing parentheses and quotes. The above result might not be exactly accurate because I didn't save the output, but it was something generally like that.

In Python 2, print is a statement. In Python 3 it's a function and
behaves like you're expecting.

However, the behavior you're seeing is odd (printing parentheses is a
surprise unless there's more going on than you've listed)

If you want them consistent across both versions, add a statement at the
very top:

from __future__ import print_function