[Tutor] Interactive editing of variables.

Mike Barnett mike_barnett at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 1 08:05:16 EDT 2019

TL;DR
There's a run-time debugger out, "imwatchingyou" that is being developed daily, fast paced, that enables debugging without stopped your code or using an IDE.

I'm unsure if I'm super late to the party of if I understand the "problem" / request properly. I apologize if I'm off-base.

Do you want to be able to examine and modify variables while your program is running, without breaking into it with a debugger?  Is that part of it?

If so, I've been working my ass off for a couple of weeks to do just that, develop a realtime "watcher" / debugger.

You'll find the project here:
https://github.com/PySimpleGUI/imwatchingyou

At this time, you must pip install imwatchingyou.  If you're concerned because of the name "imwatchingyou", it's meant to be YOU are watching YOUR code.  If I wanted to watch your Python code, I would have named it "makefreemoneyminingbitcoininpython".

There is a nice screenshot, although things have been changing.  There are 2 primary windows.  The brown one in the upper right of the screen is a realtime update of all of your local variables.  Then there's the large debug window that allows you to do more including running the built-in REPL.

There is also a version being built into the PySimpleGUI library itself so you do not have to do any imports, etc.  All PySimpleGUI will have this watch/debug capability in it.

@mike