[Tutor] Lengthy copyright notices?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 18:08:46 EDT 2019

On 17/07/2019 21:01, David L Neil wrote:

> One line offers plenty of space to exert a claim (such can be very
> simple and does not need to be lawyer-speak!) which should also refer to
> the template's/package's external file or web-page.

Yes, I've seen that and if the lawyer speak is very verbose its
a good compromise.

> Aside from possibly irritating 'the good guys', does such really 'stop'
> a determined rapscallion?

Nothing will stop a determined rapscallion(love that phrase! ;-)
But it lets the good guys know who to contact at least if they
do need to.
For example, in my last book the publishers required me to
get a disclaimer from the author of some open source files
even though they clearly stated they could be used for any
purpose. Having the copyright notice with email link made
that easy.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site